Saturday, July 11, 2015

My Anime Journey (How I get into anime stuff)


I’ve watched anime since I was a kid. And back then I just watched Dragon Ball, Doraemon, Gundam, Patlabor,Saint Seiya, and many more. But back then I just watched from local TV station and of course it was dubbed locally and honestly our local dub (Indonesian dub) wasn’t that bad back then. It is a whole different story now. I watched a local dubbed Uchuu Kyodai with my girlfriend not a long time ago, and it was sooooooo awkward. Yeah.. our local dub isn’t that great now.

Anyway, finally I got into Junior High School, back then Naruto and One Piece is the top 2 anime/manga. It was so damn popular. They are still on going, up until now.. (god I’m old). Naruto is finished they said, but it seems that the mangaka hardly move on from his so called “masterpiece”(BWAHAHAHAH). Yeah I read that a lot back then and considered it as the best anime/manga ever (pfft yeah, shitty taste is shitty). At that time, I finally introduced by my friends that anime is actually from Japan. (I was a stupid little brat back then, ok?) and my friend lent me his dvd collection.

That was the first time that I know that Anime was originally dubbed by japanese. And I began to like it even more than the local dub (seriously tho). The first original japanese dubbed dvd that my friend introduced me was Full Metal Panic Fumoffu! Our local TV shows us Full Metal Panic back then with local dub of course. The expression was delivered even better compared with the local dub (well duh!). At that stage, I started to buy dvd anime and crave for more anime. But I have no financial power back then so I keep borrowing dvd anime from my friend lol

So I watched Full Metal Alchemist in DVD. Borrowing it from my friend. Totally loved it! Even though the ending was disappointing for me. Thank god they reboot it and stick to the original manga with Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood and became my all time favorite anime series. That time was the golden era of anime for me. Evangelion, Full Metal Alchemist, and much much more anime at that time!

I also started to develop interest in japanese language since I was elementary school. It was because I played a lot of japanese game back then and kinda curious about it. I was like “What does this random scribble mean?”. I learned it by myself with a lot of “sotoy”-ness. And I learned it backwards. I should have learned the hiragana first. But instead I learned katakana first. And back then anime subber was very helpful compared to subber nowadays. They translate the lyrics with romaji lyrics and showed the original japanese lyrics as well. Subber nowadays just translate the lyrics and romaji and sometimes just the translated lyrics. I learned Japanese from anime opening and ending. Yeah you heard me right. That’s how I can read japanese *but just hiragana and katakana, kanji not that much TvT*

Anyway, finally we got to high school period. I still borrowed some of my friend’s dvd to watch anime but not that often. I only remembered that I only watched “BECK” back then (bad dum tss). And I started to develop interest in seinen manga. And I was introduced with 20th Century Boys and I read that. Dat manga is my all time favorite manga seriously. If you haven’t read it, just close this blog right now and start reading it!


It’s not popular here unfortunately, I was trying to collect the Indonesian translated manga but it’s so rare now. T_T

So I started to go to college. At first I still borrowed anime dvd from my friend. It was Code Geass. But finally I was introduced to something even better
FREAKING INTERNET!

I have no internet connection at my home back then. I usually go to warnet to play some online games. But finally I am connected to the internet when I started my college life. 
One of my friend was like. “Welcome to the civilization, dude!”
Err thanks I guess hahahaha

So I finally now that I can stream anime! And I am so happy about that! FINALLY! I DON’T HAVE TO BUY DVD AGAIN! (err.. I mean borrow it from my friend)
The problem that I have *which I have until now* is the slow connection. And if I have stream it, it will take a long, long long time to actually finish 1 eps.

I started to watch a lot of anime. That is the time when I also read manga online. I watched Fate/Stay Night, Nodame Cantabile, Great Teacher Onizuka, and many more!

And now we can just download it.... I know it is a piracy and won’t be good for the anime producers. That’s why I usually buy the official translated manga to support the creator. That’s the way how I appreciate them for entertaining me with their brilliant ideas and engaging story. The least I can do to support them TvT. One of my friend goes even further, he bought the original blue ray dvd. I’d totally buy it if it is being sold here. With proper English subs of course.

And finally we arrived to the present time, I’m working full-time job now. Back then I have a lot of time to watch anime. But now I rarely have the time for it. I usually watch anime on weekends with my girlfriend. That is one of the reason why I am so picky about anime lately because I have less time available for enjoying anime. And I want to fill that little time that I have with some good anime and not with the shitty ones. That is why I usually avoid harem or slice of life (with several exception like non non biyori which is good) anime. Maybe I will post why I avoid it next week XP.


No comments:

Post a Comment